Saturday, June 21, 2008

Michael Irvin Made Me Think ...

I was watching an interview today with Michael Irvin. He said something that hit me like a ton of bricks.

He was talking about when he was inducted into the Football Hall of Fame and how he was just so overwhelmed that it was actually happening. As he was saying this, I started thinking about our personal 'accomplishments' after 20-30 years or so of doing what we are doing. My mind wandered a bit to picturing someone saying, 'wow, it's been that long, how great you guys have been able to keep at it" or something like that.

As soon as that thought was complete, I listened to Michael Irvin's words again. He said that as he was thinking about how much he loved football and all that he was able to do, someone asked him, "do you love football or do you love what football has done for you?"

Now, is that question as profound to anyone else as it was to me?



I just haven't been able to shake that question all day.

Do I love what I do only because of what it does for me?

Now, I would have to say, that what I do certainly doesn't bring the accolades and money and fame that a football star gets ... maybe one day!

But, is it a sincere genuine love for what I do?

If I receive nothing in return, nothing at all ... would I still do what I do?









yes.

Most definitely YES!

There's no doubt about it ... this thought just really made me strip it all down to 'brass tacks' and really take inventory of why I am doing what I am doing.

I can't say I really enjoyed this process of quizzing myself (well, I did enjoy it a little, a good challenge is always a little bit of fun), and I actually kinda exhausted myself over it after a couple hours.




BUT, I know that I know that I know it's not anything about what comes back to me because of it.

Just in a tangible sense, I've already gotten rid of most of all the possessions that we own. We are getting ready to get rid of the little bit that we still have and leave with maybe 6-8 suitcases of belongings and that's it.

When we do return to the U.S., let's say no one notices and we never hear a 'good to see ya' or 'thanks for going for those of us who can't' etc... would it matter?

Yes and no.

Yes it is certainly encouraging to hear those words, we are supposed to encourage one another and there is a reason for that.

No because that's not what it's about. It's not about us getting the praise, it's not about us doing this or doing that. It's about what can be done through us ...

We are convinced that a lot can be done through people when it doesn't matter who gets the credit.

I am glad that I passed my test. I wasn't even prepared for that today, and honestly it did scare me a little because I honestly wasn't sure of my answer.



I don't know if I would've have passed this 'test' in the same way even just a few years ago. I think through this journey that we have been on to get to India, I have understand so much better who I am in Christ.

Bottom line ... it's about Him, not me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I just wrote a comment, and it deleted it when I went to sign in!!
I was just saying hi! I was glad to see you posted again. I always watch for your updates. How long do you guys have left? Do you guys know a date yet? Fill me in when you get a chance. We love you guys! By the way, I finally started a blog. It's teammaljoe (with the .blogspot.com thing). Talk to you soon!

Anonymous said...

We all need to think about why we do what we do. Is it for God to get the glory, or is it for people to say to us great job?

This is a good thought provoking posting, and I think we all need to search our hearts to see why we do what we do. The reasons should be because we love God and love people. His word says all of the commandments are wrapped up in these to commands, and that they are the most important commands.

Great job in this posting.

Love you,

Darlene

Home Sweet Home :-)

Home Sweet Home  :-)