Thursday, September 4, 2008

Train a tub and a TV!


Well, what a week.

We've had quite a few adventures. Right now we are in Hyderabad and going to see Fellowship tomorrow that has a specific contextualized setting. We are really excited to get see this so soon.

But up until now ... well it's been kinda crazy! Mainly due to the 29 (yes, t-w-e-n-t-y n-i-n-e) hour train trip that I (mom, wife) took Monday & Tuesday. Me and group of women from our fellowship were traveling to the 2nd National Womens Conference in Hyderabad. This is an AMAZING thing to have a conference just for WOMEN in India. I was very privileged and thrilled to get to go. But getting there was very interesting!

I don't even know that I can describe it. I will just share a few pictures first. Above is the first train station that we were at. This is a rather 'tame' picture, actually. We were on what they call a '3 tier AC' section for the first leg of our journey. This means there is air conditioning and that there are 3 tiers (like bunks) for beds. Here is a picture of the inside:

So you can see that the person laying down is on the 2nd tier and there is a 'bed' above and below that and then on the opposite wall there are 2 'beds'. I was on the 3rd tier the whole time! The one above the person laying down. It was really hard to climb up and down. And everything was so filthy! It's unreal!

Every 5 minutes from 5am to 10pm there are guys that come through and announce (read: yell) that they have tea, coffee, snacks, or something else for sale in the exact same tone and pitch. Every 5 minutes!!! Again, unbelievable. Then if you would happen to want to stand up in the aisle and one of these guys comes through, watch out! You better move or they will just move right past you however they can.

Here is a picture of the bunk I slept in the first leg of the trip, the one at the very top:



The first 2 hours were very hard, but then I was able to adjust and settle in. I never felt in danger, just totally uncomfortable! There were 12 people in our group, but we somehow didn't get bunks together. So we were trying to switch with people and only had limited success, so we had other people sleeping in the bunks below us or above us that we didn't know, and they were all men!

Our train stopped in Nagpur and we were able to see a school that takes in children from the "district" and educates them, clothes them, feeds them and basically the people there become their parents and loving caretakers. I got to know the lady that started this school and home for these children really well. She told me some stories that I couldn't hardly believe. I will blog about that in the coming days, I think. It's really hard to remember those kids and know their situations. I know that they are in a MUCH better place than being out in the 'district' with their moms, but it's still a rough life. I am so overwhelmed by how the people that run this live so simply and give everything they have to these kids. I know that their mansion in heaven will be much bigger than mine. We actually got to go and meet the kids in the school. We weren't allowed to take pictures, for their security, but they were so great. They sang several songs for us and recited scripture, then they wanted to know our names. So we all introduced ourselves and told them about us. Afterwards we got to interact with them individually. I will share one story. There is a boy there, Rupesch, that is 11 years old, although he is about the size of an 8 year old. He was HIV positive, but he is not showing any signs of it right now and we are believing that it has reversed. His mom died and they don't know who his dad is, as is the case with most of the kids. They have rescued him and his 4 brothers and sister. When I asked him when is his birthday, he didn't know. But, he had the biggest smile I think I have eve1r seen. Please remember Rupesch and ask for special favor for him, he really took my heart! I have worked it out with the lady that oversees this school that we can correspond with him and send him some things, but that's not the most important thing he needs!

So we get on our connecting train from Nagpur to Hyderbad. This is a non AC 3 tier section. So still 3 tiers, but no air conditioning! Thankfully we were traveling at night, but it was still mighty warm.

When we got on, there was a young guy sitting on the bottom bunk. We assume that he has a ticket for this section and so we begin to get our bags together and get them under the seat, etc... and start to get settled in. Then another man comes up and shows his ticket and says that his bunk. So then the young guy admits that he is on the wait list and gets up. So, all of us continue to get our beds 'ready' (as much as you can get that kind of bed in any kind of shape to be ready to use!) and this young guy shows back up and just sits down on the edge of one of the bunks. Everyone ignores him. Then a little while later, after we were all laying down and the lights were out, he starts to get into where our suitcases are. One of the ladies that was with us ask him what he was doing, and he said he was getting his suitcase. So she says ok and tells him to get out when he's got it. She falls asleep, so the next thing she knows he is laying his head on someone else's suitcase and sleeping! Thankfully I didn't know this was going on, probably because I had decided to listen to my mp3 player at the highest volume to block everything out and eat my Jelly Belly's that I had stashed in my suitcase (thanks Kate!), or I would've really been a little scared. I wake up in the morning and look over the side of my bed and this is what I see:




This guy slept on the floor of this train all night. We was so sound asleep that we had to wake him up to be able to get out of our own beds! I can laugh about it now, but at the time I wasn't too happy.

In this last leg of the train trip, our beds were in the first section, so the bathrooms were right on the other side of the wall. So every time the train stopped or slowed down the smell was horendous. It would just gag me instantly.

I have to say though, that these ladies that I was traveling with made such an impression on me. First of all, they traveled 29 hours on a train ONE WAY (not even including the other 8 hours that we waited between our connecting trains) to get to a womens conference that lasted a day and a half. I never heard one of them complain about anything, they had the best time. They laughed and talked and praised God and sang and just made the best of it. I was so overwhelmed by their love for eachother and their sacrifice to travel. It was very humbling to me.

When we finally arrived at our destination, I was very relieved! I did it! They told me that after doing this, I can make it anywhere in India!

At each train station there are men called 'coolies' that will carry your bags for you, but they carry them on their head!

They walked really fast and they fly up and down stairs with all of this on their heads.

Each time I got off the train, I was aggressively approached by many for money. The others in the group never had anyone approach them like they did me ... I think my age and being from the west just made me a target. That was tough. Even when I would turn to the side or just gently shake my head no, they would continue to be right in my face. Today, I was getting into a car and 3 women (2 with little babies) followed me to the car and then when I got in they stood at the windows and tapped the whole time we were sitting there. I just sat there and looked at the ground. Seeing those babies, right in front of me was difficult. Everywhere we turn, though, there are people that are in desperate situations. We are working through how to handle this the best way. There are many 'right' ways, we just have to determine what is right for us.

I have a lot more to blog about this adventure, but just wanted to update you on this week so far! We haven't found a 'flat' yet. We have a good lead on one, so hopefully we will get to see it when we return next week and it will work. Everyone, but me, is fighting a fever, cough, headaches and one has been stomach sick during the night the past couple nights, so please lift us up that we will overcome this. The great thing, is that we can go to any pharmacy and get whatever antibiotics we need ... and very cheap too!

OH!!!!!! It's amazing to me how even the little desires of my heart keep getting met. Today, after the conference we came to a hotel that we are staying at tonight and I was TIRED! I had done all that traveling, sat in a day and half of meetings in an unairconditioned and very hot meeting place, found bed bugs in my bed last night so I didn't sleep to well after hardly sleeping at all on the train ... so yes - tired. I get to our room and I think, wow, wouldn't it be great just to be able to soak in a bath, drink a coke, and watch some 'good' TV to just relax for a minute? So I ask, and sure enough, they have Coke!!!! So I get my coke and decide to wash my hands first (always a must here!) and I open the door in our room that I think is the bathroom and it's just a closet ... so now I am really bummed b/c I think that we don't have a bathroom in our room! I plop down on the bed and look up. There's a door there that I hadn't even noticed yet ... yes I am tired. I get up and open it and it's a FULL bathroom, with a western toilet and a BATHTUB! I haven't seen a bathtub anywhere we have been yet. I then turn on the TV and guess what I find .... you won't believe it ....


Amazing Race. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually, Amazing Race Asia. I couldn't believe it!

So I sit down with my coke and get to watch Amazing Race. It was like a big 'you did it' from Him after this incredible week. I can't wait to get to take a real bath next!

10 comments:

Andrea said...

AMY!!!!!!!!!!

YOU DID IT!!!!!!!

The whole tub, TV, and the AMAING RACE is miraculous, truly. There's NO way that wasn't a giant high-five from above!

I was crying while reading...then I got to the Amazing Race thing and just lost it!!

You are So brave....

PLEASE tell me you are taking a PLANE back to Kolkatta and WITH your David!!!

We almost didn't make it through your 'adventure' back here at home. Mom and I had the phone lines blazing trying to see if either of us had any info the other didn't and vice versa....

I think I would have been cowering in a corner saying "yeah right" if I'd been shown that upper bunk...let ALONE finding bed bugs!!! Are you seriuous???!!!!

WOW!!

SO GLAD YOUR BLOGGED!!!

Andrea

Monica said...

Hi there...
I found your blog through your sister's blog. I've really enjoyed reading about your new adventure. The tub, Coke and TV does sound like a wonderful gift from dad. Many blessings to you as you follow the path of obedience.

Anonymous said...

A,
So I've truely been thinking about how you all are doing!
I'm still mind boggled about what you see up close and personal/in your face and how you'll learn to handle difficult situations. I totally agree with your last post in "True Moments of Family" blog that the problems are here too, we just don't see them like you will in India. And the problems there are different and worse.

I think of you when I hear this song- Give Me Your Eyes Lyrics Brandon Heath- Here's the chorus

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the once forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
yeah .. yeah .. yeah .. yeah

I’ve been there a million times
A couple of million eyes
Just moving past me by
I swear I never thought that I was wrong
Well I want a second glance
So give me a second chance
To see the way you see the people all alone

I'm glad you're bloging and I will keep you, your family and your purpose in my thoughts. U KWIM.

Lisa J. Davis

Dawna said...

WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW

I felt like I was there with you. So exciting, scary and admirable. I don't say I'm proud of you to talk down to you but to say WOW Girl! That had to be tough. You mentioned the other gals being so sweet and kind to each other and not complaining. Did you feel like you would burst just not being able to stick your head out the window and scream?

I'm not sure how I would react. Did you have a special speaker at the conference? How was it? Were all of the attendees of the same type of personality? That sounds rather refreshing.

Sorry to hear about the fams sickness. I'm assuming that is normal. You are a wonderful writer and thanks for sharing. Prayers of patience to you all and continued focus and energy.

Dawna and Family

Anonymous said...

Dear Friends,

I can't fathom what you have been through so far this week, but I know he is making the crooked way straight for you. I'm so proud of how you have handled all of these new experiences, and I know you wouldn't be where you are except that he called you there.

Thank you for sharing your experiences and your pictures. It helps us to know how to lift you up and how to lift up the people of India.

I'm believing that all of your family will be well soon, and that you will find a good flat to rent.

It is just like him to give you the desires of your heart. Hope you get rested up.

Love you,

Darlene

Reach To India said...

Thank you all for your comments! I don't know if I'm brave or just crazy ... still trying to decide. :-)

I LOVE that song Lisa! I am going to find it and download it to my Mp3. Yes the 'lack' here is so evident and extreme. I can hardly swallow sometimes when I look out the window. But, then I am Reminded that I am here and there are many that have sent us here to make a difference. We know that we are right where we are supposed to be.

Yes, I did just about burst not being able to stick my head out the window and scream! That's a great way to say it Dawna. There were special speakers that were very good, the Superintendents wife of India spoke and a couple fellowships wives. It was powerful. And they had a girl playing the drums in a sari! HA HA I know no one else cracked up at that, but I sure did! Just the general interactions between people here are more generous. Staying with those same 11 ladies just really showed be close up how genuine it is. I am already learning from them!

Thank you Monica, great to 'meet you'!

Thank you for lifting us up Darlene, that is holding us together ... I am sure of it.

I sooooo appreciate all of your comments, I can feel more connected when you 'talk back' ;-)

much love and please keep talking!

Reach To India said...

Andrea we are taking a plane but we aren't going to Kolkata, because we aren't there. I'll explain on the phone!

Yes I am serious, bed bugs. They are disgusting. Glad I had a plastic mattress cover with me ... needless to say, I left it there!

I am glad you and mom survived my adventure, I feel bad causing so much stress. Thanks for encouraging me though, it really helped.

I think I will be processing this trip for a while to come.

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl,
We were thrilled to find your new entry on your blog last night. We have checked many times each day for new info. Your mom emailed me each time she was able to talk to you. So thankful you were able to persevere! What a blessing it must have been too, being the the fellowship with the ladies. We are praying for good health for all. Eager to hear more of your adventures.
from Back Home in Indiana

Anonymous said...

amazing!!! i just can't believe all this! i'm sure god is with you every step of the way. try to keep a sense of humor...i'm sure this will help in a lot of situations. hope everyone is feeling better by now. you're on our minds and our prayers are with you. what an experience all of this is! i would say you're very amazing going through all these different things. be careful and god bless each of you. Love, Aunt Lynette p.s i bet the coke tasted like heaven.:)

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy,

I found your blog via your sister's via? (hs cirric. site? not sure now!)

I just wanted you to know that by being willing to post your life out "there" for all to see, it has had the effect of one Western Canadian lady putting you on her "thinking" list.

You already know that you aren't alone in this, but now you can know that what you are doing matters to those you don't even know.

I've never had the opportunity to visit India, but her people are very precious to me.

Thinking of you and yours right now,
Shelley in BC

Home Sweet Home :-)

Home Sweet Home  :-)